You have no items in your shopping cart.
Pamela Holsinger - Mar 18 2021
WHY you get dull lifeless skin and how to KICK IT
TO THE KERB....... FAST.
We have written before about listening to your skin. If you are looking at your skin and it is looking lifeless and dull, tired and lacking in its natural healthy radiance then you have a problem.
When your skin lacks a healthy radiance you will most likely notice really fine dehydration lines, dark under eye area, and an overall dullness. You may well ask what causes dull skin. There are a number of causes that are all relatively easy to rectify if you have the desire
What Causes Dull Lifeless Skin
Dead Skin Cells
As you age you will accumulate more dead skin cells compared to when you were younger. This is caused because your skin produces less oil as part of the natural ageing process; your skin starts producing less oil compared to your youth. This build up makes your skin less radiant resulting in dull skin. If left untreated it can also result in clog pores and some forms of acne. Eczema and Psoriasis which are dry skin conditions can add to the accumulation of dead skin cells.
When your skin lacks water you may notice the appearance of fine lines across the surface of the skin on your face, itchy patches, redness and appear dull. It can be itchy and you may also experience dark circles under your eyes that are normally not there.
You are what you eat, does not just refer to weight loss or diabetes. An unhealthy diet can also rob the radiance from your complexion.
A balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals plays an essential role in maintaining healthy skin. Eating water-rich foods and raw fruits can contribute to youthful and healthy-looking skin. Also a Vitamin C rich diet will assist with collagen production as will vitamin B3 help with skin repair from sun exposure.
Exfoliating is a tricky thing. Yes we should exfoliate our skin one or twice a week but there is an however… If you have sensitive or sensitised skin then this may well be too much. Once a week or 10 days may be more compatible with your complexion. Also because we subscribe to safe exfoliation we support the use of organic spheres of plant origin such as jojoba beads which reduces the risk of micro abrasions caused from other exfoliants.
Aggressive scrubbing can also do damage, your skiing should never be tight and shining after a face scrub, this may be a sign of micro abrasions and will most likely result in a quick return to dull skin.
Sun damage slows the rate at which skin cells turn over or replace themselves. This causes dull, dry skin, uneven skin tone, and even blemishes and clogged pores.
Do wear sunscreen when outdoors. If you are like me and find sunscreens cause a rash or welts then make sure you wear a hat and use an umbrella.
Not Using Moisturiser
Dry skin lacks oil because it produces less sebum than normal skin, and the lack of sebum means the skin is without the lipids it needs to retain moisture and to build a strong barrier to protect against external aggressors.
Not Using Natural and Organic Skincare
Synthetics can lead to other skin issues such as nasty reactions or absorption of toxic chemicals..
Natural and organic skincare such as the iGETU family of products are curated with the best ingredients to exfoliate, boost hydration, moisture and revive your skin as well as boost Vit C and collagen and much more… naturally of course which makes it ideal for all skin types.
Lack Of Sleep
One of the signs of a tired body is dull skin.With the hectic life most of us live it is sometimes difficult to tear ourselves away from our devices or Netflix to go to bed. It is really important that you aim for 7 to 9 hours sleep every night. If you go days without having a decent sleep you are not only going to be unproductive but you will most likely develop shadows and puffiness under your eyes.
Not Cleaning your Skin Properly
Cleansing your face is important both morning and night. Sleeping with unclean skin and leaving makeup on leads to accumulation of dirt and debris on your skin surface, clogging your pores and making it appear dull and potentially can result in breakouts and sensitising your skin.
Poor Lifestyle Choices
Excess Coffee/Caffeine, consuming alcohol a bit too frequently and smoking will dehydrate your skin causing it to be dull and can result in the pores appearing larger.
Not moving your body and getting regular exercise will also take its toll on your skin health, as will not feeding the soul by spending time with the people that you love.
Claim Back Your Youthful Glow
- Exfoliate treatment once a week unless your skin dictates less frequency
- Use a moisturiser that has no fillers and is packed with actives to moisturise your skin and provide it with a barrier against the environmental nasties
- Use a face scrub that uses organic spheres to avoid micro abrasions to the dermis layer of your skin
- Use Certified Non Toxic Skincare and Certified Allergen Free products
- Daily cleansing rinsing off with a warm washer will help to keep your dead skin cells at bay between your exfoliation treatments
- Invest in a Hydrating Serum and a Nourishing Face OIl/Elixir. Add a moisturiser for Dry and Mature Skin
- Never go to bed without cleaning your face especially cleaning off all your makeup
- Drink your 8 glasses of water per day or at least try to make it to 6
- Shield your skin from the sun. Wear a Hat, use an umbrella and apply sunscreen
- Maintain a balanced diet that is nutrient rich in Vitamins and minerals paying attention to Vitamin C to help boost your collagen production and Vitamin B3 to help with skin repair
- Get your 7 to 9 hours sleep per night
- Move your body in ways that you love
- Ditch excess coffee and alcohol consumption, especially during the week
- Ditch smoking totally, not only will it play havoc with your skin but it will increase all the wrinkles around your lips
- Use the Ellkiri Detoxifying Brightening Face Scrub & Mask along with the Reviving facial elixir and intensive moisturising lotion... see offer below.
Article credit : Pamela Holsinger